Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ethnic African Craze.....

I've been noticing several editorials that have been inspired by the various African cultures. Whether its from the deserts of North Africa or from the mainlands of Central Africa, it has definitely made a big statement in recent fashion history. I believe with the Obama's currently in the White House, society is now acknowledging other important customs of minority groups in different parts of the world.

In the March 2009 issue of Time magazine, Arlenis Sosa was featured on the cover story "Fashion's New Attitude" which was shot by Chad Pitman and styled by Katie Mossman. There was a lot of influence from West Africa, especially with the rich prints on the clothing, the chunky jewelry, the dark and metallic makeup, and the whole feel of the backdrop and set. I was mesmerized by this editorial, but most of all, how much impact the styling had on me (and several readers I'm sure!!) because I could relate to it.

In the recent May 2009 issue of Vogue Italia's cover story and editorial, Sasha Pivovarova is featured in "Moroccan Holiday" shot by the renowned Steven Meisel. Vibrant, dusty, seductive, and a fairy tale painting-like set was brought about in this fable. I was able to see the similarities of one of the shots with the famous Grande Odalisque painting by Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres.

I'm wondering if this is the direction that fashion will continue on with for the next few years, as we have seen it back in the 80's with Kenzo and Yves Saint Laurent. I know for a fact that I'm looking forward to see what is to become of this fascinating and strong comeback of this trend, AND in this very interesting time we're facing with the world. I'm also excited to possibly work on something that is influenced by it......More to come on that note!

1 comment:

  1. Wow those pictorials are amazing and the styling is ferocious! Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete