Thursday, April 23, 2009

Editor-Go-Sees: Shanghai Tang & Helen Yarmak....

I looooove attending Editor-Go-Sees!! I went to 2 of them today and got to see lots of beautiful things.

First up was Shanghai Tangs's Fall 2009 collection. Now this line is based out of Hong Kong and their whole concept is about creating luxurious, modern Chinese chic with themes deeply rooted in ancient and authentic culture, from calligraphy to "The Silk Road" to Chinese contemporary art. Yes indeed....it was exactly what I saw in their collection, but with lots of bright colors: Greens and Pinks, from Reds to Purples and Corals, as well as amazingly detailed handbags and accessories. Their little minutiae of calligraphic motifs embossed on their coats and the Bauhaus inspired prints on their dresses gave the line it's own original touch. At the viewing, they had some really tasty french macaroons in the same colors of the collection......YUMMY!


Next up was Helen Yarmak's new collection of jewels and furs. First of all, the showroom is unbelievable.....located at the 23rd floor of the crown building on 5th avenue, with a terrace overlooking the spectacular view of central park. Anyway, I have never seen so many gorgeous jewels at one time.....precious stones of ruby, amber, sapphire, topaz, and not to forget our lovely best friend, diamond, in LARGE settings...OMG...Breathtaking!! Now I am not a big fur person myself, however, I was impressed by the handsome silhouettes that Helen came up with.....Wondrous!

I got to meet Helen Yarmak in person, a pleasant Russian woman that is all about glamour and extravagance.....she was quite delightful and thanks to Julia who accompanied me and translated the Russian jokes that were being shared!

There is a saying in Eritrea (where I am originally from): "It is always good to allow the eyes to see flashy and beauteous things....feeding off their splendor so that they will only desire and bring the best after that." So much for my attempted translation......

No comments:

Post a Comment